April 12, 2021, New Canaan, CT – First Candle, the national non-profit committed to ending Sudden Unexpected Infant Death (SUID), has announced the formation of a standing Public Health Advisory Committee of health care professionals and advocates to address racial disparity, health equity and implicit bias in maternal and infant health practices and their impacts […]
The United States is often assumed to be one of the safest places in the world in which to give birth. But the truth is, national maternal mortality rates have been steadily climbing for decades. In fact, the prevalence of pregnancy-related maternal deaths has more than doubled in the US since 1987, from 7.2 deaths […]
New Canaan, CT – The following is a statement from First Candle CEO and Executive Director Alison Jacobson regarding NICHD’s decision to release a strategic plan that excludes resources to battle SIDS. “The Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development’s (NICHD) decision to release a strategic plan that places no priority […]
It is Medication Safety Week and we interviewed Dr. Agnes Scoville, an emergency medicine doctor in Los Angeles, California, to discuss medication safety with babies. According to Dr. Scoville, “Many medical studies show that babies frequently get the wrong dose of medicine, in part because they spit it out. Up to 50% of babies receive the wrong […]
21 Locust Avenue, Suite 2B
New Canaan, CT 06840
Phone: 203 966-1300
- Statement on new AAP Guidelines and CPSC final rule on safe sleep
- Statement From First Candle on The Safe Use of Infant Products for Sleep.
- Sudden Unexpected Infant Death (SUID) and Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) – What’s the difference?
- Statement from Alison Jacobson, CEO of First Candle on the new study from Australia on SIDS
- HALO Partners With First Candle to Offer Safe Sleep and Implicit Bias Training to Hospitals